When it comes to emotions and trust, humans have clearly outdated themselves. But God never leaves you out of options and hence he sent to us dogs!
Now if you are thinking of adopting one, we understand that you’d probably be having a million questions in mind for how to go about the same, right? Don’t worry, this blog seeks to answer all your doubts. Just hang tight and start scrolling down.
Your first read is about Dog Breed:
Some of the most common breeds of dogs include:
- Labrador Retriever: One of the most playful and kind natured dogs are Labrador Retriever. Their loving nature would never let you go away from them.
- German Shepherd: The German Shepherd dog is one of America’s most popular breed of dogs. They act as a perfect family protector and their intelligence can leave you in awe of them.
- Golden Retriever: The list of one of the highly capable working dogs includes Golden Retriever in it. They are mostly adopted for their loving and friendly nature.
- Shih Tzu: The meaning of the name Shih Tzu is a ‘little lion’. But don’t let their name fool you because they’re one of the cutest and most adorable furry dogs out there. They are counted amongst most happy and fun-loving dogs.
- French Bulldog: French Bulldog can be understood as a mini version of an English Bulldog. They are one of the liveliest and easy-going pets one can ask for!
- Pug: This wrinkly fluffball with a tiny squishy face is known for its affectionate behaviour towards kids. Their endearing nature makes them amazing family dogs.
- Pomeranian: If you are in search of a live teddy bear, then this dog breed is your one-stop solution. If trained well, these dogs can prove you to be the friendliest dogs. But, if you’re not that knowledgeable about dogs then it is to caution you about the unstable temperament of these dogs.
- Poodles: To one’s great surprise, Poodles are counted among the most intelligent breeds in the world. Their amazing grasping power while training and energetic behaviour makes it very easy for people to train them.
Next up is bonding with the little pup:
There is always a need for that special connect for any relationship to work out. Isn’t it? Hence, before going ahead with the process of dog adoption, one must be able to form that special bond with the dog that he/she is wanting to go with. Often people are seen liking a dog based on its eyes or furriness but end up never forming that beautiful relationship with it. Studies prove that a human-dog relationship is dependent on many factors like willingness to adapt, gender, age, amount of quality time spent with the dog and so much more. Hence, if you are thinking of adopting a dog just based on its physical appearance or on the basis of its behaviour that you read on google about, then it is going to be the first and final blunder that you would be committing during the process.
So, what to do?
I suggest to visit the dog shelter a couple of times, meet the dog that you wish to adopt, make it feel comfortable and safe around you and observe its behaviour. Ideally, one should further enquire about the dog’s medical history (injuries and allergies if any) and individual temperament from the owner. For example, if you are a working machine and are wanting to opt for a little puppy, then my friend, I think it to be an unfair decision at your part. It is because puppies are like newborn human kids, who are technically untrained and need constant attention and love and care. And if they are not provided with the same, they’ll always be looking for an opportunity to sneak out. Hence, ‘understanding’ your dog first is a must. This way you’ll be completely sure about your preferences and your dog’s requirements.
Your dog’s dream home!
If you’re thinking that bringing home a dog is an easy task, then buddy, you’re highly mistaken. A dog’s expenses are equal to that of a human and never less. It requires a home of its own (dog kennel), food of its own (dog food), a bed of its own, trainer of its own, cosmetics of his own, a doctor of his own and even a name of its own! For a dog to feel comfortable around you, be loyal to you and care about you, you would need to invest a lot! Umm, a pretty much actually. And if you think that your wallet can not deal with all of it, I would recommend you to wait for some time. Just adopting a dog and expecting it to protect you when you are in danger can never be the case. You would need to make it feel protected and loved, buy him his favourite toys, favourite treats and so much more.
Therefore, before you bring that ball of happiness to your home, make sure to be prepared with everything that he might need. Also, by investing I don’t only refer to just money but time as well! Your dog needs your time to know and understand you. For him to be a part of your family and to treat your home as his own, you would need to devote some hours of your schedule to him, play with him and make him feel like your own.
Just like you can never imagine a home without love and care, the same is the case with dogs.
Adoption It is!
If you’ve finally reached this part of the blog, then I am assuming that you probably are all set to get a new member in your family. The fact that many people trade dogs and sell them just to earn some bucks is quite disturbing. According to a survey conducted by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, each year, approximately 1.5 million shelter animals are euthanized (670,000 dogs and 860,000 cats). But the number of dogs and cats euthanized in U.S. shelters annually has declined from approximately 2.6 million in 2011. This decline can be partially explained by an increase in the percentage of animals adopted and an increase in the number of stray animals successfully returned to their owners.
Therefore, one important and final suggestion that I’d like to give to all my fur lovers would be to adopt one homeless, hopeless doggy rather than buying one. There are n number of beautiful dogs wandering on the streets, searching for a friend who would love and protect them. Be that one for them! Your one act of kindness can change a life forever. And not to mention the amount of happiness and joy that he would bring to your and your family’s life would be irreplaceable. You are just a few bucks and some documents away from a broken ball of joy. Adopt it, love it and make him love life again!